Bachelor of procurement and Logistics Management was started at Kyambogo University in 2003.The first lot on this programme completed in 2005 and graduated in 2006.Normally the Programme Review should take place immediately after a full cycle and after receiving feedback from employers on the performance of the graduates in the field.
Procurement is one of today’s fastest growing management disciplines, in terms of both managerial activity and strategic importance. Procurement and the management of the entire supply chain have become recognised as a driving corporate business philosophy – a profit creation centre, rather than simply a cost saving function. Given the ever changing and the increasing role of the procurement function both nationally and internationally, it is necessary to have a continuous curriculum review process to match the ever changing role of the procurement function.
There has been growing demand for professional procurement officers in recent years in Uganda. It is believed that this course will facilitate the creation of a pool of such specialized manpower that will go a long way in addressing/tackling the procurement and logistical issues in governments departments, NGOs and private sector business enterprises.
There has been a review of the Diploma course hence need for reviewing the Bachelors to avoid overlap.
National council for Higher Education (NCHE) has recommended some minimum requirements that must be accommodated on the programme. The procurement programme has been redesigned to address the above concerns and further enhance development of procurement sector in general.
The programme shall target the following categories of people:
- Holders of Advanced Level certificates,
- Diplomas holders or equivalent qualifications from any recognised institution of higher learning.
- Persons who shall have passed Mature Age Entrance Examinations.
- Holders of any non- procurement degree qualification.
Admission to the First Year
Admission to the programme shall be done in accordance with the University regulations
A candidate shall be eligible for admission to the programme on meeting the following requirements:
Two principal passes in either science or Arts subjects or its equivalent
Essential Economics, Mathematics, Entrepreneurship and physics
Relevant Geography, Literature and History
Desirable Chemistry and computer applications
Others Any other subject
OR (b) Must pass the University Mature Age Entrance Examination.
OR (c) A Degree or Diploma from a recognized Institution.
- A student who transfers from another recognized University must spend at least two years on the programme.
- A candidate with any of the following qualifications is eligible for joining the programme in the second year of study:
- Honours Degree in Business related disciplines
- Diploma in Business Studies with bias in Purchasing and Supplies Management or Stores Management.
- Level two in Institute of Purchasing & Supplies (IPS)
- Or their equivalents
Crediting the Diploma qualification will be as follows:
First Class 4.4
Second Class Upper 3.6
Second Class Lower 2.8
Crediting the Degree qualification will be as follows:
This forms the CGPA for first year for the candidate. Unclassified Diplomas will be evaluated according to the transcript.
Applicants with pass diplomas and pass degrees do not earn any credit and shall therefore start in year one of the programme.